COVID-19 Service Update- service is open to f2f appointments- Click here for the full update
Nightingale and Lawson provide an enhanced minor surgery service that offers biopsy, cyst/lesion removal, joint injections/aspirations and vasectomy.
All minor surgery procedures are subject to the Procedures of Limited Clinical Value (PoLCV) Policy criteria (see Downloads). Please ensure referrals meet the relevant criteria. The policy is still in effect and you will be notified about any changes.
Please note that Well Street no longer offer the service. Referrals to Well Street will be rejected.
See procedure list (under Downloads) for full criteria per practice.
- Low risk BCC removal
- Diagnostic skin biopsy (non-malignant lesions)
- Cyst/lesion removal
- Joint injections/aspirations
- Ganglion draining
- Vasectomy (Nightingale only)
For queries about eligibility of a patient for an minor surgery procedure, call the Individual Funding Request Team Mon–Fri 09:00–17:00:
t: 020 3688 1290
- Patients under the age of 16
- Referrals for procedures that a practice provides under the DES
- Cosmetic procedures- where there the issue causes none of the following:
- limitation of movement
- obstruction of orifice
- significant pain
- significant itching
- disfigurement to the face (>1cm)
- Lesions/cysts- >5cm in size
- Lesion/cyst in hazardous location requiring specialist: face- within the margin of the orbit, wrist, etc.
- Toe nails- refer to Homerton community foot health services
- Keloid scar revision
- Ganglion Excision
Practices are only eligible to refer for cryotherapy/cautery if they have opted out of the additional service- a full list of which practices are opted in and which are opted out- can be found in the downloads section.
How to refer
The following clinicians can refer to this service: