· Verification of expected deaths for patients who have died at home/Supported living schemes/Nursing Homes/Care Homes.
· Specialist Support from St Joseph’s Hospice
· Marie Curie Rapid Overnight service referral – ensuring overnight care
· Assess Care needs and request urgent package of care as required
· Equipment needs – bed, mattress, commode, sliding sheets etc.
· Continence needs – pad provision, catheterisation, constipation management
· Medication administration syringe driver/PRN
· Patient/next of kin aware patient is in their last few days/hours of life.
· Patient wishes to die at home/CMC Plan for death at home
· Patients assessed as actively dying (predicted last 72 hours of life)
Referral Process (use standard ACNs referral form via EMIS/Email/ACCRUX)
· Complete an ACN referral for end of life input with details on diagnosis, prognosis and plan
· Prescribe end of life medication and send to pharmacy for dispensing or issue FP10 to family member to obtain. (referral not accepted without this)
· Complete (print/sign name) authorisation chart for continuous medication and PRN medication ensure prescribed with range e.g. Morphine 5 – 20mgs. Leave in patients property or email to huh-tr.ACNreferrals@nhs.net FAO Palliative RRT (referral not accepted without this)
· Patients who have longer palliative prognosis than 72 hours - Send standard referral to ACNs.
How to refer
The following clinicians can refer to this service: